Friday, March 2, 2018

why I will also be wearing orange

A River Falls icon passed away earlier this week. On my walk to Anytime on Tuesday morning, I noticed emergency vehicles on 2nd street near Ezekiel Lutheran church. Not a common site, but not completely out of the ordinary. I found out later that the reason for the emergency was that a River Falls icon, a man who rode his bike EVERYWHERE passed away while riding his bike.

One of my colleagues and friends, Maggie wrote this message to her class and I will also be wearing orange in his memory:

Dear families,

Have you ever noticed the sight of the gentle, inspiring older gentleman often seen wearing a blaze orange hoodie as he rode a bicycle throughout River Falls? His name was Francis Johnson. He rode almost every day, rain or shine, winter or summer. He passed away this week, and I just found out.

I didn't know this gentleman personally, and yet I've noticed him many times and marveled. His presence and dependability seemed such a part of the fabric of RIver Falls, and in a way, demonstrated the two virtues our students focused on this month, Citizenship and Service.  

So even though we did not have a chance to share this news and discuss it with the students today, I thought perhaps you might wish to.  (See the message below). 

And perhaps, if you happen to have any blaze orange gear they could wear, your children might be interested in wearing blaze orange as well.

Thanks,
Maggie
Friends and Colleagues:

As some of you may have already heard (I am not on social media, so I'm not quite aware how widespread this news is yet), Francis Johnson passed away Tuesday morning while riding his bike on Second Street.  

If the name Francis Johnson is unfamiliar to you, you may know him only as "the man in the blaze orange hoodie sweatshirt who rides his bike all over town."  All the time.  All year round.  He rode through my neighborhood at least once every day, often times more in warmer weather.  

I was fortunate to find Francis shortly after his collapse, and I, along with some other members of the community, was with him when he passed.  He was not alone, I do not believe he struggled, and he died while doing what he loved and what made him an icon of our town: riding his bike.

I learned this morning that the University CHILD center kids will be wearing blaze orange tomorrow in memory of Francis... he worked for Chartwells and delivered their lunches each day.  I have decided that I will wear blaze orange tomorrow as well, and I thought it would be a great way to honor his memory and his legacy in River Falls to invite the rest of the district to do so as well. 

Here is a short video clip about Francis that was created by a UWRF graduate student.  If your students don't recognize Francis by name, they might know him after seeing it.  


I also have information about funeral arrangements, for those interested: Saturday, March 3rd at O'Connell-Benedict Funeral Home.  Prayer service @ 3:30pm, Visitation from 4-7pm.  

Seeing Francis riding his bike each day always reminded me why I love River Falls... we have such a great sense of community here!  Please join me in recognizing and celebrating the life and legacy of a man who helped make River Falls feel like HOME!  

No comments:

warm memory of Uncle Leo

  My uncle Leo loved being in the woods and collecting maple sap and boiling it down. His grandson, Tyler just posted this photo of his gran...